Communication skills, empathy for others, and a healthy regard for peer criticism are important for us to attain our true potential in our personal and professional life. Many of us have often felt the need to equip ourselves with a skill to help us overcome our fears. Creative Writing is one such skill.
Creative writing is original writing that enables us to communicate thoughts in an imaginative way. Expressing ourselves through creative writing helps us in improving our imagination to think out of the box; developing empathy towards other team members; developing clarity of thoughts helping us to articulate our proposals well; improving our vocabulary that helps in improving communication skills; and developing a healthy regard of criticism from our peer which helps us in improving upon ourselves.
Bestselling author Sanjay Chandra has designed this short workshop on creative writing for small batches giving each participant enough time to express and develop the required skills. The workshop will help young students about to embark on their professional journey, aspiring writers, and professionals across all management levels.
Batch Size: 10
First Session (30 minutes): Interactive talk
- Importance of literature in our lives
- Why should we read?
- Why should we write?
- Dreams that we see with open eyes
- Books that we read
- How do reading and writing help us in realising our dreams?
- What is creative writing?
- Elements of creative writing
Second Session (210 minutes): Exercises in creative writing
Exercise 1 (20 minutes for writing + 45 minutes for peer review of five participants and discussions on what could be improved upon + 20 minutes for rewriting + 20 minutes for presentation):
- Write a non-fiction article on a prompt released by the presenter
- Five of the participants would present their articles. These will be reviewed by remaining participants with reference to elements of creative writing. Discussions on what could be improved upon
- Rewrite the article and present
Exercise 2 (20 minutes for writing + 45 minutes for peer review of remaining five participants and discussions on what could be improved upon + 20 minutes for rewriting + 20 minutes for presentation):
- Write a short story on a prompt released by the presenter
- Remaining five participants would present their short stories. These will be reviewed by other participants with reference to elements of creative writing. Discussions on what could be improved upon
- Rewrite the short story and present
Presentation of Certificates to all participants
1. Overhead presentation facilities
2. White board with marker pens
3. Paper pads and pens/pencils for all participants
4. All participants should carry a book that they are currently reading or have read last
5. There will be discussions around the books that participants are carrying
6. There are no losers. Everyone is a winner